However, when it comes to hiring a marketing executive, this becomes an even more difficult task. Marketing leaders are facing a rapidly changing environment, with an expectation to drive leads and revenue, adopt new marketing tools and organize their teams to operate in a digitally connected world.
You used to be able to hire people with really strong skills in one area for a marketing leadership role. Today, instead of hiring a copywriting, design, or analytics specialist for a leadership role, you should hire someone who is versatile and has a wide range of marketing skills as well strong managerial skills.
Finding a marketing leader with these unique skills takes a specific strategy and approach. One way to attract a talented marketing leader is by creating a job description that portrays the type of person that will thrive in your company and highlights any behavioral characteristics you hope to find in a candidate.
Begin by including information about your organization, benefits or perks of the position, job responsibilities, and character traits.
You should also make it clear what the job will be like for top candidates and why they should want to work for your company. For instance, what are key activities they will be doing and what prior experience do they need to have? How will they make a direct impact to the bottom line and how much responsibility will they have?
Below is a sample of a marketing executive job description that includes responsibilities, qualifications, and key competencies. You can use this as a guide when crafting your own job description, however, you will need to add more information about your company culture, benefits, and make the descriptions more specific to your company.
- The candidate will be responsible for the company’s entire marketing function
- Support the global sales team to identify and opportunities to drive product and brand awareness.
- Support and help direct marketing activities, such as advertising and promotional activities, trade show support, digital media presence and events
- Establish and drive marketing initiatives that are in-line with customer needs.
- Must demonstrate strong leadership skills to integrate the needs of multiple constituencies into a unified approach to driving business growth
- Design, implement, and facilitate annual marketing plan and develop marketing strategy
- Conduct market research to determine market requirements for existing and future customers
- Responsible for managing and balancing the marketing budget
- Support business development activities including working closely with senior managers, building client presentations and offer to coach prospective client management
- Oversee corporate communications activities
- Create and manage an outstanding marketing team
- Develop and administer marketing database
- Develop and optimize online marketing initiatives to drive customer acquisition
- Review new technologies and keep the company at the forefront of developments in digital marketing
- Proven experience as a marketing executive or similar role
- In-depth understanding of market research techniques, data analysis, and statistical methods
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage projects full cycle
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter with a hands-on approach
- Ability to work quickly and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to clearly and logically make decisions based on limited knowledge while communicating those decisions with a diverse range of individuals, including senior leadership
- Disciplined, organized, and thorough individual who is a self-starter
- Creativity and familiarity with design best practices
- Bachelor degree in Marketing, Web Design/Development, or related discipline
- Building Effective Teams
- Business acumen
- Critical thinking
- Interpersonal Skills
- Drive for results
- Project management
- Oral, written and presentation skills
- Analytical skills
Don’t let your marketing department or yourself, get stuck in the past. Today’s marketers need to have a wide range of skills and experience, technical abilities, and leadership skills.
It’s time to hire a marketing executive who can grow your business and Naviga can help! Call us today 866-487-4156 or click here to learn more about our marketing executive search services.